Male Hair Transplant
What Is Surgical Hair Transplant?
A hair transplant is a surgical technique that moves hair follicles from the back of the scalp – the ‘donor site’ – to a bald or balding part of the scalp known as the ‘recipient site’.
Primarily used to treat male pattern balding, hair transplants are known as the only permanent solution to hair loss and promises above 90% success rate. You can also have a surgical hair transplant in Singapore to restore or add facial hair and to fill in scars.
Is A Hair Transplant An Invasive Procedure?
A hair transplant is a minimally invasive procedure where grafts containing hair follicles from the back of the head that are genetically resistant to balding are transplanted to the bald area.
Within a day, the donor area will dry up, small scabs will form on each graft in the recipient area and your head will no longer require bandaging. These scabs will shed approximately 7 – 10 days later. Life goes on as normal for patients.
Are Results Immediate?
You can expect the implanted hairs to shed from the 1st month up to the 4th month post procedure at different rates. They usually start growing from the 4th month onwards, at the normal rate of 1cm per month, growing denser in the months to follow up until the 1 year mark, when you will see the final result.
How Many Hair Grafts Will I Need?
The number of grafts vary from patient to patient, depending on the size of the area to be transplanted as well as the intended density.
You may need anything between 500 – 2000 grafts up to 3000 grafts for the typical balding male. While many patients require only one hair transplant session, some may require 2 – 3 sessions to achieve good density.
If you have continued hair loss, we may need to repeat the procedure in the following 5 – 10 years, depending on donor availability.
Is It A Painful Procedure?
You will find that you feel very little to no pain during the hair transplant surgery and slight to moderate discomfort during the initial 5 – 10 minutes when the anaesthesia is being injected. You may feel some discomfort after the procedure but that will be controlled by the medication supplied to you.
How Long Will A Hair Transplant Procedure in Singapore Take?
Depending on the number of grafts, it typically takes 6 – 9 hours with a lunch break in between.
Patients are advised to have nothing else planned on the day of the procedure.
How Long Will I Take To Recover After A Hair Transplant?
It takes about 2 – 3 days to recover and up to a week for your hair to look socially acceptable. Most people choose to stay indoors for a period of 3 – 5 days. You can resume light physical activities after the first 3 – 5 days and return to normal activities after 10 – 14 days. Contact sports and extreme exercises are best avoided for 3 – 4 weeks.
Terra is a hair transplant clinic in Singapore offers the latest techniques in FUE hair transplantation. Each of our surgical procedures emphasise the creative components to hair restoration as much as the technical aspects. We carefully take into account factors such as age, sex, desires and expectations, degree of donor availability, facial contours, hair characteristics and ethnicity during consultation before finalising the surgical plan for each of our patients.
We ensure that every one of our patients are well-equipped with accurate do’s and don’ts before and after surgery, and we see them through the entire phase while they anxiously wait for results.
What Is FUE And How Is It Different From FUT?
FUE is the first hair restoration technique known to be minimally invasive. It has been around for more than 15 years and has gained popularity in the recent years compared the the original “strip” technique or FUT that leaves a linear scar on the back of the patient’s scalp.
This technique involves using the aid of a motorised punch to harvest follicular units, which are groups of hairs containing 1 – 4 follicles. The tip of the micro motor penetrates into the skin by spinning during the extraction of follicular units and allows easy extraction of bulbous healthy grafts.
FUE hair transplant in Singapore is a versatile and excellent method for hair transplantation when performed by experienced hands. At Terra, we ensure our doctors and team are properly trained and qualified to give you the best results you can ask for!
Tip: Wearing a shorter haircut before and after the hair transplant procedure is recommended for better recovery. As soon as the clinical downtime (healing) is over within a few days, your surrounding hairs in the donor zone will grow out, leaving you with hardly any social downtime after 5 – 7 days.
10 Steps Of A Hair Transplant
- Trimming of donor hairsThe donor area is trimmed according to the number of grafts to be harvested.
- AnaesthesiaThe area is numbed with administration/injection of local anaesthesia.
- Harvesting/ExtractionFollicular units of 1 – 4 hairs are loosened from the scalp and picked up for inspection.
- Quality checkEvery one of these grafts are looked at under high-magnification microscopes to ensure the follicles are intact and there is a sufficient amount of supporting tissue surrounding them. They are then placed into a dish containing Hypothermosol solution, a bio-preservation media which protects the viability of the grafts.
- Lunch break for you
- Marking/hairline designThe doctor draws out the hairline and marks out recipient areas in accordance to the plan.
- Recipient site preparationArea is cleaned and numbed with administration/injection of local anaesthesia. Trimming/removal of surrounding hairs in the recipient areas may or may not be required.
- Site-makingThe doctor uses small customised blades to make size-specific incisions, placing them in a predetermined density and pattern, and angling the wounds in a consistent pattern to promote a realistic hair design.
- ImplantationThe earlier harvested grafts will be carefully placed into the pre-made sites by a team of trained nurses and hair technicians.
- DressingAntibiotic ointment and Calecim Stem Cell serum will be applied to the donor area and the area will be bandaged for 1 day. The recipient area is left exposed to be sprayed with a special solution provided to you to keep the area moist and healthy.
What To Expect After A Hair Transplant?
For the first two weeks…
Life goes back to normal for most patients the day after a procedure. That being said, there are some things you must avoid to encourage recovery and prevent grafts from dislodging in the first week.
- Physical exercise, including activities such as golfing. Although most patients can resume light exercise such as walking or jogging after a few days, we caution against physical activities for the first week.
- Submerging your scalp in a bath or pool
- Usage of styling or chemical sprays
- Excessive sun exposure, as this can cause damage to both the scalp and hair follicles. The scalp is very sensitive to UV rays after the procedure!
- Alcohol and tobacco, as both affect circulation to the scalp which is vital for recovery.
- Hair dye, due to chemicals
- Touching or rubbing your head
- Bending or lying down. Keep the head elevated by sleeping in a recliner or with up to 2 – 3 pillows for the first 2 – 3 days.
- Wearing a hat, however loose-fitting, for the first 2 days might dislodge the grafts